7th Grade Teaching Suggestions from Mrs. Massey
7-PS1-1. Develop models to describe the atomic composition of simple molecules and extended structures.
- Notice, the indicator lists atomic composition, simple molecules, and extended structures. Plan time accordingly.
Atoms: Focus on numbers 1-20 (H-Ca)
Simple molecules: water, carbon dioxide, glucose, ammonia, methanol,
Extended structures: diamonds, graphite,
- Remember - models can be 2D or 3D, please expose students to both forms of atomic models, both pictures of them and 3D replicas of them.
- In cooperative groups, have students choose a vertical group on the periodic table. Each person in the group must use the same materials, but model a different atom/element in the group.
- Have students make a bucky balls.
- Remember: State Assessment Boundary: Assessment does not include valence electrons and bonding energy, discussing the ionic nature of subunits of complex structures, or a complete depiction of all individual atoms in a complex molecule or extended structure.
-Focus on structures. With atoms, assume electrons equal to protons. Do teach about subatomic particles. Don't teach type of bonds, or bond energy.
7-PS1-2. Analyze and interpret data on the properties of substances before and after the substances interact to determine if a chemical reaction has occurred.
7-PS1-3. Gather and make sense of information to describe that synthetic materials come from natural resources and impact society.